Sunday, October 9, 2011

Easy as PIE

Now that I am settling into my new school and getting to know all of my students, I decided to spend a few days just reviewing some of the skills from the first nine weeks. I really wanted to see what they remembered and had learned from their previous teachers, but I didn't want to just give them another worksheet or heaven forbid yet another test. When it came to reading I spent a day or so on each skill, one of which was Author's Purpose.

I decided they were all going to make their own PIE. After some trial and error. This is what I came up with:

I used two paper plates. One of which we cut into four pieces (for younger students you may want to have this already done). Each piece of the PIE represented Author's Purpose (Persuade, Inform, Entertain). I had them color the pieces of PIE (they turned out really cute, we had some blueberry, cherry, and rainbow PIE). After coloring and writing on each piece you then staple (found it was MUCH easier to staple than glue) all the pieces on to the second paper plate. Then the students were given the handout below and had to match the definition and example with the correct Author's Purpose. It was pretty simple, but a much better way to review!



Click here for the printable (there are six to a page)

Enjoy!