Saturday, October 27, 2012

We Need Our Monsters!



This week during ITBS testing I wanted to give the students a little something fun to do, as a break. So I made this fun activity to go along with the book I Need My Monster. As I have mentioned before I LOVE THIS BOOK! It is so cute! And this lesson just proved that even big, bad 5th graders love this book. It also was a great book to use with Halloween just around the corner.

After reading the book we discussed all the different text elements we heard/saw in the book. I mentioned that I had used this book with opinion/persuasive writing before (because the monsters are trying to persuade the little boy to allow them to be their monster).

After discussing I gave each student a copy of the glyph WS, where they had to answer questions as to what they would want their own monster to look like. The next day we began assemblying our glyph monsters...they came out SO cute!!!!!













The final step was that they had to write a descriptive paragraph as to what they would want their monster to look like (not what the glyph looks like, but based on their choices from the WS). I haven't gotten their paragraphs on the wall yet, but again they LOVED doing this little project/activity and everything turned out ADORABLE!

So here is the first of my TWO things I am giving you all...mostly for putting up with my sparatic posting and less than thrilling posts. I hope you enjoy! CLICK HERE TO RETRIEVE THE PACKET (which includes wall display items, glyph WS, and monster pieces) Have fun! 


16 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

I love this book! Thanks for the packet and ideas on how to use it for the upper grades!

:) Kaitlyn
Smiles and Sunshine

sydney said...

This is adorable. Thanks for sharing the packet. I love how you used the command hooks to display their work on clipboards.

Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron said...

cute! fun! thanks :)

Lisa Goodwin said...

i couldnt print this... i have this book and its loks like a fun lesson

Cathy Schafer said...

This is so adorable! My 3rd graders would love it, but I can't print it either or find it to purchase on tpt. Help?

Cathy Schafer said...

This is so adorable! My 3rd graders would love it, but I can't print it either or find it to purchase on tpt. Help?

Cathy Schafer said...

This is so adorable! My 3rd graders would love it, but I can't print it either or find it to purchase on tpt. Help?

Cathy Schafer said...

This is so adorable! My 3rd graders would love it, but I can't print it either or find it to purchase on tpt. Help?

Roneet said...

Great. Thanks so much ;)

sme6149 said...

Looks great. But can not print or download.

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

Thank you all for the interest in I Need My Monster Packet. I'm not 100% sure as to why some of you are having difficulty accessing the packet. I am trying to trouble shoot the problem. In the mean time I am going to download it to my TpT site for FREE and will post the link soon! THANK YOU AGAIN for the huge amount of interest!!!!

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

I've uploaded it to my TpT store for free...here is the link: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/I-Need-My-Monster-Packet-922729

Maggie Capriola said...

Love it! Now if I can just find the time during our day to do it.

kdrex said...

This is a great new (to me!) book for persuasive writing! Love the monster idea! Could you please tell me what it says on your cork strip..."It's not the ideas....??? What you did with that wall is genius. I can never get anything up on my hallway strip that looks "put together"!

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

The saying is..."it's not about ideas, it's about making ideas happen" Thanks for reading!!!!

asbishop said...

I love this. I couldn't print it either so I copied and pasted it into a word document and now can save and print it. I hope you don't mind.