Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reading Stations

Just a little update on my reading tubs/groups....I am currently doing a lot of one on one during my guided reading time, but I do have a good rotation set up for my tubs.



Tub 1: Is Making Words

Have you ever seen this book? I love it and so do the kids. I usually type up a little half sheet of paper giving them a few clues as to how many three letter words...etc. I also started rotating in a word game that they enjoy (any competition is good for them). Therefore I have linked this game for you all...FREE!

Tub 2: Listening Station


We are currently listening to The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, I use some comprehension questions here and there, so I know they are listening!


Tub 3: Word Ladders


Again...another great resource! You can print a few, laminate them front to back, and have the students use vis-a-vi markers.

Tub 4: Boggle
I use my board that is on the wall, click here for the printables. I also found a great FREE worksheet for the students to show there work here!

Tub 5: Nonfiction Reading Comprehension

This is yet another GREAT resource! It is FULL of cross curriculum concepts. This is my independent work station. 

Tub 6: Media Center

I hope this give you a few ideas to help get you through the month. I know I am stretched very thin right now...it's crunch time for the GA Writing Assessment  and my remaining transition students are gearing up for the CAR retake, again. Not to mention those parent/teacher conferences just around the corner. Whew! I hope you all are hanging in there! 

9 comments:

Collaboration Cuties said...

Hey Jessica,
I see you are from Gwinnett (as are we). Do you use making words as spelling and take grades? We have really been struggling with all of this word study mess and getting grades, on top of the fact they CAN'T spell. I'm just interested in what your school is doing for spelling/word study. Thank you for sharing!!

It's so fun to follow another Gwinnett blogger!!

cutesyclickables@gmail.com

Amanda
Collaboration Cuties

Mrs. L said...

I love The Mixed Up Files. It is one of my favorite childhood books.
Life with Mrs. L

Julie Pieprzyk said...

I am green with envy over the organization in your classroom!! I saw that ladder word book before, I am assuming since you posted about it, you must like it. Something I should look into. I am also a 5th grade blogger, and I am so glad I found your site!

Julie
My Journey to 5th Grade

Dawn S. said...

How long do you do your centers for and do they rotate during the time allotted or do they spend time at one center per day?

Thanks,
Dawn
dstueck@gmail.com

Dawn S. said...

Another question is what do you do for your media center tub?

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

hey Dawn thanks for being patient with my responses...I have a 6 day rotation, which lasts me two weeks usually (I don't do a rotation on Friday due to my FOCUS kids being out the entire second part of the day and we have extra Friday recess time). Which means that they spend 30 a day on a tub...rotating tubs within one setting was a mess even for my 5th graders. They stay and work on that tub the entire time. If they finish early they know to silent read or work on unfinished work. Then the second half of my reading time is my mini lesson (I have to swap the order due to small group pull out). Finally media tub is simply media center....I keep our media center passes in there :) I know so hard huh. We don't have a set media center time in my class due to my class make up and pull out times, so this ensures that my kids get a chance to exchange books. They come back from media center they read quietly.

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks great! Can you please share where you got your wooden ladybugs and white pails?

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

Hey there...the wooden ladybugs came from Hobby Lobby (already painted and everything). The tubs with the white lids came from Wal-Mart (if that was what you were referring to.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your response. The white pails I was referring to were the white caddies you have for each group. In one of your pictures, it looks as though it is divided. I have plastic caddies and they are breaking now. Thanks again!