Friday, August 3, 2012

Here it is!

I am officially pooped!! Seriously, can't keep my eyes open. The stress has hit and has left me drained, and the adrenaline rush is gone.

So this will be an easy, brainless post. Let's walk through my room!

Here is the overall picture:



And now for some close ups! (I'll try to answer a few questions I have gotten about some things around my room):

Math area: I have the add it up game on the wall (like boggle, but for math!); the "board" is simply fabric hot glued to the cinder block as well as the border; the pails contain dice, counters, and such; the tubs are used in guided math groups; I think I am going to use the metal sign (from JoAnns) for listing their options for guided math; the pot holders are used for dice when students are playing games (keep the dice on the mat and they don't make noise).


New behavior management system. We have gone to a schoolwide passport, positive behavior system. A few of the fifth grade teachers decided to use something like this. I made mine on my own using my Cricut. The students each have a square magnet with their number on it. Ready to Learn and Great Job are S's for the day, Awesome is and E, Warning is still and S, Teacher's Choice is an N and I will decide if the student needs to sit in another classroom for a little while, write the code of ethics, or maybe sit out for recess..lastly is Parent Contact which is a U...the student will go to the office and the parent will be contacted. Because of the new system I had to adjust my work/behavior folders...now they are simply work folders (not labeled yet).


My no name paper section...love this idea. Just hang up the papers with no names for the students to see and claim their paper!



My pizza pan groups (yes they sell pizza pans at the Dollar Store!!!). I decided to use different color circles to represent different subject. White = Math Groups  Red = Reading Groups. The circles have their numbers on them.
 




My area! Love it this year, especially the signs...I am addicted to subway art and quotes. 
 


My homework board. The Dollar Tree does sell frames that are lightweight and flat on the back, which makes it easier for hanging. One of my co-teachers has hers hot glued to the wall. Because some of mine were flat and others weren't. Some of mine are hot glued to the board and others have magnets on the back. DON'T use magnet strips!!!! They don't work. I used about 10 or so magnet circles from Wal-Mart. They even sell the really strong magnets (little silver ones). My lettering on the board is from the School Box. My bucket will hold library books that I will use in my guided reading. 


My reading "nook". Again I used hot glue to make my "board" with fabric and border. Boggle is on the board. The tubs will hold different items for groups. The drawers have my making words items and other game pieces and such. And my library crates are the square ones from Wal-Mart. I'll take a close up of them later when I talk about guided reading in my classroom.


My new little buy for the year. a six cubby shelf. This holds supplies, pencil sharpeners, our caddy with our passports in them, boy's and girl's pass (hand sanitizer), and the cubes will "hide" other supplies.


Finally, my outside wall display. I LOVE IT! I was lucky to have inherited clipboards...brand new clipboards from a retiring teacher! So I had two class sets and thought what better way to display work. I used my Cricut to cut the letters for the quote: "It's not about the ideas, it's about making the ideas happen". Again I used the Cricut to cut the triangles for the pennant, laminated them and hot glued them on the wall. I also used thick twine (again hot glued) to make the pennant "rope". I haven't decided how or what I am going to make for name tags, I was also waiting for my list to be more official.




ENJOY!