Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Bookcases...

Yep once again I am on vacation. Don't be jealous. I am usually the one who stays at home every summer, and goes NO WHERE. Seriously. But we planned a trip to California, and started saving over two years ago. Then I actually get the chance to go on my family vacation to the beach, a tradition that we have had for 30 years! I haven't been able to go due to scheduling conflicts and such. So here I sit on a rainy evening...at the beach. I would be out on the porch but the mesquetos are horrible tonight!

Now on to my post...my bookcases







I can tell it's summer and a lot of you are thinking about the set up of your next year's classroom. I have been getting a lot of questions about my bookshelves so I thought I would give you all some information.

First, the actual bookshelves. They are good ole' Wal-Mart Mainstay brand bookshelves. They usually have two removable shelves, but to book my bookboxes on them, I have to take one shelf off.

What I keep on them...mainly their bookboxes. They are magazine boxes, I get mine at Ikea. They are the least expensive there, or from what I have found. I type and print off a binder side cover then tape it on to the box, with clear packing tape. You can also tape the bottom, especially for those kids who are always rough on things. Inside their bookboxes I usually have their Reader's Workshop items: response journal, post-its, 2 books on their reading level, 2 library books, and 1 fun book. Sometimes there will be an activity we may be working on in small/whole group. I use the bookboxes for them to be able to travel with what they need for Reader's Workshop...to a center, reading on their own, small group, or even with a support teacher.

The last few items are pretty self explanitory: Dictionary, crayon/pencil box (I again buy these at Wal-Mart, usually no more than .50 cents each. I print a name label for each student and again tape it on the box. The trash cans usually don't go there, but we needed room.

On top of the shelves are my caddies. They have glue sticks for each student at that group/table, hand sanitizer, and scissors for each student located at that group/table.

The binders that are in the first two pictures are usually kept in their desks or bookbags, they take them home nightly. I buy these through our county with some of my supply money. Each student gets an agenda from the school, this is in their binder...along with extra paper for homework, sheet protectors that might contain a center check list and/or weekly homework. They can also put their spiral notebooks in the binders that they might have homework in (for that night).

I hope this helps as you are thinking about how to set up your classroom this upcoming year! Oh a little tip about the bookshelves: the backerboard can come out especially if you move your classroom around or have those students that love to lean on, kick, etc. your shelves...my old custodian told me that the best thing ever was to staple gun the backer board into the bookshelf!!!! Yep that simple, she said this makes them last twice as long...it's true!


32 comments:

Liliris said...

I had a few of those bookshelves in my classroom too. They are wonderful, and very reasonably priced. Sadly, only 1 has withstood my yearly summer moves and cleaning. Thanks for the tip about the staple gun. That is going to be the first thing I do when I get back in my classroom! You are awesome!!!

Liliris
Fourth Grade Garden

Jamie (2nd Grade Stuff) said...

I have one of these bookcases in my classroom already, but definitely would like to have several and use them in this way! I love it! They are really relatively cheap too at Walmart. Since I am moving from desks to tables this year, these are looking better and better.... :o)

Kelly said...

Your room looks so organized and spacious. I love the way you use the bookshelves, I'm just not sure my room is big enough to do that and still have room to walk around. Or I may have too much junk! LOL

I've been following your blog and would love for you to check mine out.

Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

April Kreitzer Wolfe said...

Love how organized your shelves are.

April
Wolfelicious

Tara said...

Oh my gosh... Your room is soooooo big! I am so jealous of how neat and organized your room is! Amazing!!! LOVE it all! I wish I had room to do it like that, but with increasing class sizes and such, there is no room to do it like that. I used to do laundry baskets like that and put them in the middle of the desks and they would put their supplies in there... that worked out great too, but with smaller class sizes!!! Love your colors!

Jessica Tobin said...

I love the bookshelves at the desk groups idea! This would be so much more organized for my classroom!!

Jennifer said...

I love the bookshelves with your teams. My class size is usually around 24. Do you know your room dimensions? I would like to compare them to mine. Thanks!

The Queen Bee-Minneola said...

I love it! I am really thinking of doing this in my lassroom this year, it all depends on the floor space, we have long skinny rooms at my school! Thank you for posting, I can't wait to get into my classroom and start making it look so clutter free and organized!

Cathy said...

Yes! Staple gun the backer board on! Don't know why I never thought of that. Definitely on my to do list now. Thanks!!

Kristin said...

I have ALWAYS been obsessed with your bookshelves. And trash cans. :)
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Gretchen Schultek said...

I gotta give it to you...your room absolutely rocks. I'm using it as my cover photo for my pinterest board "classroom set-up." Props! :)

Always A Lesson

luckeyfrog said...

I love this idea. Always have. Thanks for showing them in more detail! I use those same book boxes and I love the idea of students having them close and spread out in the room.

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

Lemanie said...

Wow that's impressive!! Good for you!!

hmichaud said...

I absolutely love how the bookcases work in your classroom. I am so jealous of your space. It's not that my room is tiny, it's just very awkwardly designed and makes organization of seating very difficult. Every time I see your room it makes me more determined to some how, some day figure out something similar that works! =)
http://cantmakethisstuffup-hmichaud.blogspot.com/

Angi said...

I've given you the versatile blogger award. Click here to see why!

Layla Wiedrick Henry said...

I am your newest follower! I just started a blog to connect with other amazing teachers! Check it out, and Happy 4th and CUTE classroom! Fancy Free in Fourth

Lisa said...

Love the look, colors, and how organized it is! Kudos! Also- a staple gun is perfect for stapling your tablecloths on a table so it's not constantly slipping and sliding off!

Firstgradebloomabilities

Anonymous said...

I love these bookcases, but I was wondering how many students you usually have? I am not so sure I could make this work with 26-29 big 5th graders... and I am in LOVE with those trash cans, have you done a post on those??

Markeeta said...

I nominated you for an award. Come on over to my blog and get it!!!
http://ateacherandablog.blogspot.com/2012/07/blog-award.html
Markeeta

Techie Santillana said...

I also love how you have a group storage! I think it's great for the book boxes, and might do this depending on the size of my room. I m still waiting on a possible transfer. I love the team caddies as well =)
Http://learningwithmrss.com

Mrs. Wathen said...

I love the black bookcases. I have to say that the bullitan boards are FABULOUS too! I am such a RED person. Great room:)

Tammy
The Resourceful Apple

Little Miss Teacher said...

Your classroom looks fantastic! New blogger and 4th grade teacher. Added to my inspirational blog list :)

http://littlemissteacherblog.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

I am curious. Where did you find red trash cans? I have looked every where and have been unsuccessful. I love the way they look and would like to have them in my room. Thanks!
amyjperry@gmail.com

Ms. Hunter said...

I love your bookshelf idea, so much that I realized I pinned it multiple times! I am moving from first to fourth grade this year, and while I'm staying with the same school, I am switching campuses. I'm so overwhelmed with planning, curriculum changes, and organization! Thank you for posting such great organization ideas and photos. You have been an inspiration to me!

Kim said...

I just set some of these up in my classroom. I asked a visiting custodian (what would we do without those guys?!) his opinion because the bookcases were taller than my desks, and I didn't want students to write on the back or poke holes. He had a great suggestion! I now have two bookcases sitting back to back in between each of the table groups. They're just as accessible, and I won't have to worry about the backs.

Jen said...

Thank you for being such an amazing inspiration! I have been looking for a great layout that would prevent students from "unnecessary" traveling during class time, and now that I have a ceiling mount projector I will be implementing this in the fall. Thanks!

Teaching and Tech

MrsKacz said...

I love your blog and especially this post! I am a fairly new blogger myself (more or less trying to find time to actually blog) and I would love for you to check out and follow my blog!

http://krazyfunteaching.blogspot.com/

I wrote about your idea and your blog also!

Anonymous said...

I bought the containers that you have for your trash. I am wanting to decorate them in a similar fashion that you have, however I am not sure how you did it. I tried duct tape for the spots and that didn't work out too well and I bought letter stickers for the label, but not sure if that will work either?? Help!
Kerry 5th grade teacher

Rory Fugerson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I bought shelves for each learning club 8 years ago!! I did paint them last year and reinforced the backs with particle board? from home depot and they are still going strong!! I love how this helps the kids stay organized and keeps the room looking clutter free!

Ashley Sands said...

where did you find your trash cans? Love this set up!

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

The actual trash cans came from the dollar store, I cut the letters and polka dots out of vinyl using my Cricut machine.