Monday, January 2, 2012

The Root Of It All

Okay so my planning day was not too bad. I did manage to get a few things done, but of course there is always more. I can't complain too much after reading everyone's comments. Our first day of break was the 19th and we went back today for a teacher workday. I think the complaint was more that everyone else was off while we were at work today. Some people still had company in town, the GA game was on, spouses were off, no day care, and so on. It just didn't make much sense to us. And seeing that the post was one of my highest "commented on" I think a lot of you have thoughts and feelings on the top as well. On the bright side there was absolutely no traffic.


A few of you have asked about my trees I drew for my Greek/Latin Roots board. I finally managed to get it scanned for you guys. YEA!!! I copied the master on to brown Art Paper (I use Art paper because I find it easier to fold, cut, and copy on to..it's not as "furry")



How my board it set up:

On the top row we have our prefixes. On a notecard I write the prefix/suffix/root that we are studying, what it is, and the meaning. On each leaf (simply a di-cut) I write the words that we found, use, and are studying.


Here is the suffix row (second)


We even used a tree for our math words during geometry.


So here is what you all have been waiting for...the TREE! Click to picture below to download.




27 comments:

YearntoLearn said...

Amazing idea. Love it.


Yearn to Learn Blog

amy.lemons said...

Love this idea! I'm going to tuck that away for when we do prefixes/suffixes!

Hope King said...

I am so loving this! We are beginning prefixes/suffixes in the next few weeks! I will definitely need to find a place for this!

Hope King
www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

Amber Polk said...

I love this! Sooo smart! I am pinning it for all to see! :)


Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

Kristin said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

I love this!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Jennifer said...

I'm your newest follower and I love this idea! Totally pinned it!

Rowdy in First Grade

Miss Dennis said...

yay thank you!!

Katie King said...

I emailed this to the older teachers at my school months ago when I first saw it on here! I think it is a FANTASTIC idea!

Katie
Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Caroline Brantley said...

Love this! First grade could do word families. I love the prefixes and suffixes though!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Sorry you had to work today. I will do this prefix thing THIS WEEK!

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

I'm loving these :)
The Teachers’ Cauldron

Cary said...

I used this idea this week for a lesson on root words. I provided the tree trunks and blank leaves, and the kids labeled each tree with a root word, and then brainstormed, searched the dictionary, etc. for words using that root. They labeled their own leaves and hung them up. It's great to see them so involved in learning! Thanks for sharing.

Jayne said...

I hope you don't mind that I modified your idea. Unfortunately my room is too small to have separate trees for each suffix and prefix, so I created "leaves" for each one and added them to a suffix tree or a prefix tree. I blogged about it on mrsrhodesscholars.blogspot.com and shared my leaves. I gave you credit for the idea and sent everyone to your blog for the darling "trees". Thank you and I hope that you don't mind!(If so I will happily remove it!)

meadowt said...

I just found your site and I am your newest follower. You have a lot of wonderful ideas. I would love for you to come and visit me. I am very new to the blgging world.
Thanks for sharing,
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

@Jayne...I LOVE IT! I'm glad you were able to use and adapt it to your needs!

stephanie said...

I have been searching for over a week for some kind of root word actvity that involved students using a tree. Your activity "hit the nail on the head!" Thanks so much for posting that idea

Anonymous said...

I have been searching for a prefix and suffix lesson all morning. Thank you!!!!

Alysia Battista said...

Love this idea! I just pinned it :) You should come link up!
Busy Bee Bulletin Board Linky

Kaylees Education Studio said...

Love this idea, I'm going to share it on my blog and link back to you.

Mrs Warner said...

What a great way to display the words. This is a unit I am working on right now. This will be a great way to display them and include children in making the display too.

Many thanks.

Lisa Warner
Y4 Teacher, Leeds, UK
http://year4blogspot.blogspot.co.uk/

Jessica said...

Love this idea! I just found this idea via Pinterest, and I am a new follower!
Thank you for the great idea!
Jssica
The Polka-dotted Teacher

bsamples said...

Would you mind sharing your list of all the prefixes and suffixes you use for this activity? I would love to use it with my ESOL students!

Thanks,
Bea Samples
bsamples@jackson.k12.ga.us

Nicole said...

What did you use to create the leaves?

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

The leaves are a di-cut from our media center.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I'll be studying prefixes this week. I'm so excited to do this with my kiddos!

Maria said...

What a GREAT idea!!!! I couldn't help sharing it with my fans @ www.facebook.com/elementaryschoolbulletinboards :)