Sunday, July 3, 2011

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave


As you BBQ, hang out with friends, enjoy your family, and watch the fireworks...take time to remember why we celebrate. I am not fancy with the words but nothing can express my pride and gratitude to my numerous friends who have served and currently serve our country.

Some of you may know but I come from a wonderful family of military members. I think of them everyday and am grateful to have such strong, selfless people in my life. Thank you to my brother, nephew, husband, and sister. 

Especially thinking of my sister as she is currently deployed overseas...only 2 more months! Love you and miss you!


I know this poem's history is not much related to the 4th of July, but its message is a strong one!

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.

By: John McCrae