Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Another Arrangement

I'm not sure about you, but when I'm only half happy with my room arrangement and given time to ponder I can completely rearrange my room in my head, and shockingly it usually works out (if thought through enough).

So you guessed it...over the break I wasn't completely happy with my new arrangement. I had one group that was just WAY too talkative and needed to be smaller, and my back table that I used for groups was really bugging me. It just didn't seem or feel like I was using it to it's "full potential". Because it was by the door any traffic coming or going was disruptive. It was also by the book bags...so if a student was coming back from something and needed to get to their book bag it would distract my group.

I'm also kicking myself because I didn't take a close up picture of them, but a teacher friend (who now is in my old classroom) had these awesome space saving, stackable stools that she used when meeting with individuals or groups....I loved them so much that I got some over the break. And it also gave me a chance to browse one of my favorite stores, IKEA!

So here is a picture of the stool, they are stacked next to my table in my classroom pictures.



Here is what it looked like before we left for the break (just a reminder)



I moved the group table to the front of the room, next to a corner of the board I don't use often, thought I could use it in groups


Probably the biggest change, I pushed both my storage cabinets back to back, placed the shelf and "poster" I made in front. The math center central had been there before, but I moved the Reading center central to the other side. I really like the seperation of spaces now!


A view from my desk. 5 groups of kids now, a few smaller groups (one group has to share book shelves with another nearby group, and I'm actually okay with that)


The view from the front of the room...well one side of the room. I placed my two metal shelves in front of the book bag hooks to create a "semi wall" allowing me to bring a group off of it. It also blocks my view of the book bags and doesn't give the kids much room to stand and gather back there. Got this idea from another friend teacher!


This feels WAY more open! We will see what it's like when the kids arrive TOMORROW! Yep we go back with kids TOMORROW. Speaking of which I need to get to bed!

20 comments:

Mary P. said...

This looks great!
Mary at Pitner's Potpourri

Miss R said...

Be careful with those stools. After a while, they get wobbly. Even still, I love mine, too! :)

Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts said...

Gorgeous!! Your room arrangements are always my daily dose of zen :) Best of luck tomorrow with the kiddos!

~Stephanie
3rd Grade Thoughts

Miss Squirrels said...

Still looks amazing!
Squirrels
Go Nutty With Me!
misssquirrels@yahoo.com

Mrs. Bartel's School Family (Alyce) said...

I rearranged yesterday. My fellow teachers laugh because I change every couple of months, but I had some space that was not living up to its potential and wanted to fix that. Happy to know someone else thinks like that also. Good luck today with your kids. Ours come back today as well.
Alyce

Jennifer said...

I move my room around all the time. I love change and I can't stand it when something is the same for too long. I love the new layout. It looks great!!

Jennifer
Darling Little Learners

Kristy said...

Your room looks great! I love the red and black!
Teachin' First

im said...

Your room is beautiful! One question...do you have some students who must face away from your main teaching board? That is my problem when arranging my room. How do you handle this?

Farrah Kilgo said...

Your room looks great! I move mine around a lot, too, so I completely get where you're coming from.

Farrah
ThinkShareTeach

Tami said...

Your room looks really nice. You made me laugh....I changed my room afer the kids left for break :)

Tami said...

after

Bridget S said...

I love your room arrangement! PERFECT! I wish I lived close to an Ikea!

nbafitis said...

Hi! I was wondering where you got those bookshelves. I'm building my future classroom and I want to do something similar in setup. I have yet to see shelves that I really like, but yours are perfect!!

Nadya

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

I found and always go to Walmart for my shelves! They are the mainstay brand of shelving. Hope that helps!

nbafitis said...

Thanks! :)

Overachiever said...

I love you room as always, but I'm curious as to what you have on the bulletin board with your Grammar Practice. Thanks.

Dandelions and Dragonflies said...

The Grammar Practice board is my mentor sentence. I'm not sure if you ever heard of it before. But it's basically when you pick a good sentence from a picture book or book that models great writing. On day one they notice the sentence structure (simple, compound, fig. language, declarative, etc.); next they identify the parts of speech (as many as they can); Day two they revise the sentence at two or so things that could make the sentence better; Day three they imitate the sentence (write one of their own that follows the structure of the mentor); Day four is a test in state test format. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks great! Can you please share where you got your wooden ladybugs and your white pails?

Allyson said...

Oh my goodness! I love your room! It looks fantastic! Your kids are lucky to be in such an awesome room!
I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of the size. Mine's only 25' X 30'...so tiny.

Allyson said...

Good grief...I just noticed how many exclamation marks I used. Apparently I'm addicted to them!!!!